FAQ – Frequently asked questions

Non member EU/EFTA

Conditions for entering and staying in Switzerland

I would like to employ an au-pair from Mexico (or any other non-EU/EFTA member state). Which points do I need to pay attention to?

I am a citizen of a non-EU/EFTA state in possession of an unlimited residence permit valid for an EU/EFTA state. Do I need visa to work in Switzerland?

I am a citizen of a non-EU/EFTA state and have been offered employment in Switzerland. Can I now go to Switzerland and work there?



How long does it take from the moment when an application is made until one can enter in to Switzerland and start on the job?


Social security (Old Age, Survivors’ and Disability Insurance, OASI/DI; Compulsory Pension Act, CPA; Accident Insurance Act AIA; etc.).)


Family reunion

Sorry, for the time being, information on family reunion is available in German, French, and Italian only.