FAQ – Frequently asked questions
Please note that the general visa and entry procedure is described in detail in our information sheet:
1. General information on entry and visa procedures
2. Special information on Schengen
3. Border-crossing / Travel documents
4. For hosts in Switzerland
5. Travelling in the Schengen area with a Swiss residence permit
6. Questions on granted or refused visas
7. Long-term residency in Switzerland (more than 90 days) / Employment in Switzerland
8. Other questions
I am a third country national subject to visa requirements if I want to enter the Schengen area. I hold a residence permit for Great Britain, Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia or Cyprus. My spouse is national of an EU member state. Do I still require a visa to enter the Schengen area? Do I have to pay for it?
On entering Switzerland, third-state nationals (people who are neither EU nor EEA citizens) must prove they have sufficient means of subsistence, regardless of whether they are subject to or exempt from visa requirements. What is extent of financial means is expected? Is cash the only form of showing that third-state nationals can support themselves while in Switzerland?