Third-country nationals

Citizens of all other countries must meet the following conditions to enter Switzerland:

Regardless of their visa obligation status, third-country nationals wishing to enter Switzerland for a short-term stay not exceeding 90 days per 180-day period must be in possession of a travel document that:

  • will remain valid for at least three months after the intended date of departure from Switzerland; and
  • has been issued within the previous 10 years.

The date of issue of the travel document shall be the determining factor, notwithstanding any decision by the authorities to extend the period of validity of the travel document.

  • Overview of recognised travel documents:
    Annex 2: Recognized travel documents
    To ensure that the most recent documents are available at all times, reference is made to the website of the European Commission. The documents can be found on the right under "Info": (Travel documents issued by third countries and territorial entities (Part I); Travel documents issued by Member States (Part II); Travel documents issued by international organisations and other entities subject to international law (Part III); List of known fantasy and camouflage passports)

If the third-country national is required to have a visa in order to enter Switzerland and has no residence permit, see
Annex 1, list 1: Overview of ID and visa provisions according nationality.

Temporary stay permits shall not be considered as equivalent to a visa, since these documents are only issued for the period of time required to review an initial application for a residence permit or an application for asylum.

  • They must not remain longer than the maximum period of time established for stays within the Schengen Area.

The maximum stay within the Schengen Area is 90 days per 180-day period. Use the short-stay calculator to determine/verify the amount of time available for any given stay:
Calculation of short-term stays / short-stay calculator

  • They are able to demonstrate the purpose and circumstances of their stay in Switzerland and/or the Schengen country(ies) to be visited.
  • They have sufficient financial resources to cover the entire duration of their intended stay as well as the return trip to their country of origin, the transit trip through a third country, or can obtain the necessary financial resources by some other lawful means. 

Sufficient financial resources can be demonstrated by showing cash, traveller’s cheques, credit cards or other collateral (e.g. bank guarantee).

Third-country nationals who remain in Switzerland at their own expense must be able to demonstrate that they have enough financial resources to cover at least CHF 100 per day of their stay. The reference amount for students with a valid student permit is CHF 30 per day.

If a stay in another Schengen country is planned, the calculation of adequate financial resources shall be based on the reference amounts established by national authorities. See
Annex 18: Reference amounts required for the crossing of the external border fixed by national authorities (PDF, 175 kB, 13.03.2013)

If the entry takes place through a Schengen country that is not the main destination, the State Secretariat for Migration SEM recommends – particularly to third-country nationals who are not required to hold a visa in order to enter Switzerland – that they carry traveller’s cheques, debit cards or credit cards as well as cash in the currency of the transit country in question.

  • The Schengen Information System (SIS) or national database does not list their names as persons who have been denied entry.

Persons wishing to query SIS data should contact:

Bundesamt für Polizei fedpol
Nussbaumstrasse 29
3003 Bern

Further information see Information about SIS data

Persons wishing to obtain information regarding an entry ban should contact:

State Secretariat for Migration
Authorisation of Stays Division
Quellenweg 6
3003 Bern-Wabern
Tel. +41 58 465 11 11
Fax +41 58 465 93 79

  • You may not be expelled from Switzerland.
  • They pose no risk to public order, domestic security, public health or international relations with a Schengen country.


European Union

European Free Trade Association

Short stay
90 days in any 180 days period

Third countries
Countries that are not members of the European Union and/or the Schengen Area

Travel document
Swiss passport, temporary passport or ID card


Last modification 01.03.2017

Top of page